woensdag, oktober 15, 2008

Data boom requires storage overhaul

Did you know that, since the beginning of 2008, more than 369 exabytes of data has been created? Well, I didn't!

I just read this article @ computerworld.com. It is about the Storage Networking World conference that was held in Dallas, Texas this week. Since data creation is growing by 60% each year, companies face the daunting task of finding ways to effectively manage all this info.

"Information is fast becoming the world's single most valuable asset," Chuck Hollis, global marketing chief technology officer at EMC, said. "As such, it's important to oversee the entire information portfolio, understand where it's being stored, how it's being used, and to stay out of trouble by complying with all security and data retention regulations."

369 Exabytes! I don't know the exact nature of the next sentence but it probably will have something to do with Jezus. I mean: Wow. And for all of you who need refreshment on the meaning of the term exabyte, here it is >>

8 bits = 1 byte
1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte
1000 kilobytes = 1 megabyte
1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte
1000 gigabytes = 1 terabyte
1000 terabytes = 1 petabyte
1000 petabytes = 1 exabyte
1000 exabytes = I have no idea and I am too lazy to look it up right now.

And since I have jotted down (is that proper English) the previous sentence, it has now become clear to me that the spelling checker doesn't even know about the term petabyte, let alone exabyte. So I guess it's safe to say we're dealing with quite a bit of information here (ha ha, a bit, get it).